Saturday, July 7, 2012

Watermelon Agua Fresca

This has been one of the hottest starts to summer that I can remember in many years. This week alone temperatures have not dropped below 90 degrees, well at least until the night. When I found out the forecast for the weekend was going to reach  temperatures over 101 degrees I had no plans to go anywhere!


I have been wanting to make my own Agua Fresca for a while, and figured that this weekend would be the perfect time. With a predicted forecast as hot as "melting" this would be a wonderful way to keep my chicas hydrated and happy in a healthier way then a sugary soda or juice box. Agua Fresca is a popular drink in Latin America, it is a mix of fresh fruit, agua (water) and a small amount of sweetener such as sugar but I used agave in mine.



Agua Frescas can be made using an array of fruits such as guavas, strawberries, mangoes even cucumber, I decided to make Watermelon Agua Fresca because I knew that was a flavor that my chicas would agree upon. I was a little disappointed about the taste of the first pitcher, I think I used a little too much salt and lime.


Also the agave is something I love to use in baking, but for me in a drink it didn't give the touch of sweetness I was looking for.  I have a feeling though that this is going to be a long, hot summer so I will have plenty of time to refine my skills in making an Agua Fresca Perfecta! Stay Cool and enjoy the rest of your weekend! ♥

2 comments:

Karla Boza said...

I'm from El Salvador and we call it "fresco". Watermelon is by far one of my favorite flavors. Keep it up!

Karla Boza
http://foodcitizenship.com/

chica chocolatina said...

Karla, thanks for the intersting fact! I know there are many names for dulce de leche, cajeta...in the many paises de latin america. I didn't know the agua freca had different names as well!

01 09 10